As part of our ongoing support for our customers, we provide both formal and informal training around the services and products we implement. From a few recent experiences, I wanted to share some overall suggestions on how to plan and present a successful training session on technical topics. Over a series of blogs, I will share some of the planning and content suggestions that have worked well in the past. This blog will focus on training for your internal support team, and how their understanding of the system will be different from everyday users.
Don't forget detailed training for people who work on administration tasks in your new application. These are the folks who may be very technical, and yet will need thorough training with the new system.
Walk your internal system administrative staff through the back-end components (servers or cloud management).
• Explain the hardware and/or cloud-based management console so everyone understands the footprint of the system.
• Explain access and options - how to access the system for maintenance or diagnostic tasks from all options - corporate office, working-at-home, traveling-for-business etc.
• Review options where administrators will require additional permission or involvement from the management team to make changes.
Focus on tasks performed by your administrators, but also take some time to remind this team of key end-user functions where support may be requested. Hold separate administrator training both for focus and also security around the back-end processes.
• Discuss the maintenance tasks that the administrators will need to do both inside and outside the application's user interface.
• Review portal management if available (O365 as example) - permissions, licensing, status checks in this environment, etc.
• Server maintenance checks - explain to your administrators how to make sure the underlying infrastructure is running normally and some possible first steps if it is not.
Take a look at the other blogs in this series for more suggestions for ways to improve your training process.
Beringer Associates, a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, is always here to provide expert knowledge in topics like these. Please contact us with any questions you may have.