Websites come in many different shapes and sizes. They can run on a variety of platforms and use several different coding languages. Despite these differences, all clients want the same the same result from their websites … deliver an easy way to capture and track their website leads in their CRM system.
This seems like an easy request, but it's always a challenge for every new client. They typically have a vendor who is great at building websites, but they have no idea how to integrate to your CRM. This is typical because they need to understand the CRM's schema, API and authentication complexities. Even if they have that knowledge, it still brings up a lot of ongoing questions:
- How are they going to maintain the code when your CRM's schema changes?
- Will they be responsible for maintaining and updating the authentication process?
- Do you really want your website vendor responsible for implementing related business logic, like ownership assignment?
Sorry if I scared you, but these are very real concerns that you need to take into consideration. But don’t worry… If you're using Microsoft Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform, then Beringer can help 🌞
Power Automate Flow Benefits
We can solve this problem with Power Automate Flow, which allows us to expose a custom API endpoint for the website vendor. The vendor can simply submit their existing payload to the custom API endpoint, and let us do the hard work!
There's a lot of benefits with this approach, as opposed to the website vendor integrating directly with the Dynamics API:
- The Flow's custom API endpoint is code \ platform agnostic.
- The vendor can pass in any JSON shape, and not adhere to the Dynamics API standards
- We can add any additional automation and business logic, in addition to just adding lead in the Dataverse
- We can control the Dataverse security, and can manage the credentials from the flow.
- All actions are captured in the Flow history, and available for auditing troubleshooting.
The best part is that these Flows don't require much code, so they're super easy to build.
Build your own Power Automate Flow
- Create a flow in Power Automate. You can sign up for Power Automate here.
- Choose the "When a HTTP request is received" trigger. Paste in the vendor's sample JSON to generate the schema. Learn more about triggers here.
- Use the "Parse JSON" action to parse the data. Learn more about the "Parse JSON" action here.
- Add your business conditional logic, which may be required before proceeding with the lead capture process. Learn more about conditional logic in Power Automate here.
- Send the data to the Lead table in the Power Platform Dataverse.
Learn more about actions in Power Automate here.
Reach out to Beringer today!
We love to implement Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Power Platform solutions here at Beringer. We’ve been working with Microsoft Dynamics since its inception, and we’re always finding innovative ways to implement the latest tools and help automate business processes.
Beringer Technology Group, a leading Microsoft Gold Certified Partner specializing in Microsoft Dynamics 365 and CRM for Distribution also provides expert Managed IT Services, Backup and Disaster Recovery, Cloud Based Computing, Email Security Implementation and Training, Unified Communication Solutions, and Cybersecurity Risk Assessment.